In 1920, when it started as the West African Council of Medical Research (an affiliate of the MRC UK). It has was tasked with the responsibility of conducting research into prevalent, communicable and non-communicable diseases (NCD) as well as Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) ravaging some parts of what later became Nigeria. The aim was to make it provide the requisite information, new knowledge, treatment guidelines and recommending ways of preventing such diseases.
Today, Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) is a reputable point of reference in basic, applied and operational research for the promotion of national health and development in Nigeria. NIMR play a vital role in developing viable structures for the dissemination of research findings, and providing the enabling environment and facilities for health research and training in cooperation with the Federal and State ministries of health and in collaboration with universities, allied institutions and organized private sector nationally and internationally.
WHO WE ARE
- The nation’s foremost Institute of Medical Research
- We carry out medical research in Nigeria to improve public health and national development
- We collaborate with several institutions nationally and internationally to facilitate enabling environment for medical research.
- We attract some of the brightest and best brains nationally and
internationally in research collaboration
- Research Collaboration/Adjunct positions in National and International Universities
- We disseminate health research findings for policy practices and programme