Center for Infectious Diseases Research
Center for Infectious Diseases Research is among the three centers in Microbiology Department, we perform basic, translational and clinical research. Our highly interdisciplinary research focuses on the transmission, evolution, immunology and control of infectious diseases among human populations and environment, using cutting -edge tools in epidemiological and genetic analysis, backed by focused field and experimental research.
Our scope spans a wide range of microbial research on diseases including diarrheal, respiratory tract infections, water borne diseases, malaria/other parasitic infections, antimicrobial resistance surveillance, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), Opportunistic microbial diseases and zoonotic/nosocomial infections. We also conduct implementation and applied research to improve diagnosis, promote rational (safety and effective) use of diagnostic devices and ultimately improve health outcomes.
We operate microbial repositories for research and academic purposes. We collaborate with relevant stake holders in microbiome genomics research of pathogens, hosts, vectors and environment in line with “One health” concept to monitor and control public health communicable diseases’ threats, nationally and internationally.
ACTIVITIES COMPLETED IN YEAR 2020:
- 1 Knowledge and Perception of Risk of Contracting Coronavirus Disease 2019 (Covid-19) Among Adult Nigerian
- NIMR water quality study
- Evaluation of antibacterial efficacy of NIMR collaborated hand-sanitizer product
- Isolation and Identification of Microbes for students
- Characterization of isolates and storage for bio-banking
- Parasitic Identification of pathogens from samples (stool, vegetables and fruits)
- Investigation of Antimicrobial use for Covid-19 related symptoms among Nigerians
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES ON-GOING:
- A survey of Antimicrobial resistance burden in Lagos State- The objective of this project is to provide reliable estimates of Antimicrobial resistance burden in Lagos.
- Assessment of the status of Antimicrobial stewardship programmes in healthcare facilities in Lagos State: Objective is to ascertain the level of on-going stewardship activities in healthcare facilities in Lagos State and Identify gaps for future intervention.
- Comparative metagenomic analysis of vaginal microbiome of women living with HIV- The objective is to determine the vaginal microbiota of WLHIV by establishing the taxonomic composition of the vaginal microbial community and its diversity in women living with HIV, as well as establish the functional genes and metabolic pathways.
- Molecular Surveillance of Plasmodium falciparum Drug Resistance Markers among malaria coinfected women living with HIV in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Antibacterial efficacy of hand sanitizers sourced from common places in Covid-19 Era in Lagos State.
- NIMR Pre-Doctoral Research Development (PRDG) Grant 2019 – Mrs. Afocha
- Institut Merieux young Investigator award 2020 – Dr Chukwu
- Emory-Nigeria Research Training Program award 2020/2021 – Dr Igbasi and Dr Chukwu
- African Research Excellence Fund (AREF) mentoring and grant writing 2020/2021 – Dr Chukwu
MEMBERS OF STAFF – CIDR DIVISION
DR. (MRS.) U. T. IGBASI
HEAD, CENTRE FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASE RESEARCH
- Dr. Uche Thecla Igbasi Research Fellow I/Head of Centre
- Dr. Emelda Chukwu Research Fellow I
- Mrs. Ebelechukwu Eugenia Afocha Research Fellow II
- Miss. Oluwatoyin Bamidele Awoderu Research Fellow II
MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS
- Mr. Morakinyo Bamikole Ajayi Deputy Director
- Dr. Christian Enwuru Chief Med. Lab. Scientist
- Mr. Abuh Dennis Principal Med. Lab scientist
- Mr. Gogwan Peter Lengshak Medical Lab. Scientist I
- Mr. Lawal Gbenga Raman Scientific Officer I
- Mr. Akinfenwa Nathaniel Adeolu Chief Clerical Officer
- Mr. Sholeye Jubril Femi Senior Clerical Officer
- Miss Alaribe Chioma Jane Senior Clerical Officer
PRICE LIST FOR SERVICES RENDERED BY CIDR
S/N ITEMS PRICE (Naira)
- ELISA analysis for corporate bodies 25,000 per plate
- ELISA analysis for students 10,000 per plate
- ELISA reading for corporate bodies 15,000 per plate
- ELISA reading for students 5,000 per plate
- Isolation and Identification of Microbes for corporate bodies 20,000 per sample
- Isolation and Identification of Microbes for students 10,000 per sample
- Identification of Microbes for corporate bodies 15,000 per petri dish
- Identification of Microbes for research and education 10,000 per petri dish
- Parasitic Identification of pathogens 1,000 per sample
- Maintenance fee for Standard Microbial strains 50,000 per isolate
- Maintenance fee for typed Nigerian strains 10,000 per isolate
- Processing of stool samples for intestinal parasites 400 per sample
- Microscope reading for corporate bodies 500 per slide
- Microscope reading for students 200 per slide
- Helminth ova on stained slides 200 per slide
- Protozoan cysts on stained slides 200 per slide
- Infected mice for Schistosomiases 5,000 per mouse
- Infected snails for Schistosomiases 1000 per snail
- Isolation and Identification of Trichomonas vaginalis 20,000 per sample
STAFF OF THE YEAR 2021
Mr. Peter Lengshak
for courageously responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
STAFF OF THE MONTH OF AUGUST 2021
Mr. P. L. Gogwan
(For your diligence and commitment to work)
STAFF OF THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2021
Mrs. R. O. Alesinloye
(For your diligence and commitment to work)